C: Sadly, we have lost an intrepid Albertan: fmr Lieutenant Governor, the Honourable Norman Kwong. In my first year as an MLA, I was named “one of our most influential people” by AB Venture; & I was asked who influenced me…I immediately answered “Normie Kwong--for his inspirational accomplishments on the field, with his family, & across Alberta”! We will miss you, Normie!
R: An honour to be a special guest at the “Magnificent Men Leadership Lunch”--with Brian Burke--for the Canadian Centre for Male Survivors of Child Sexual Abuse…we must stop abuse of all kinds!
The NDP gov’t continues to choose ideology over families; & a short list of recent examples include
- Fighting Power Purchase Agreements in court--pitting gov’t against gov’t--& leaving taxpayers with the bill. The PPAs were established to ensure affordable & reliable energy; & regardless of the outcome of the court case, AB’s will pay more in energy prices & property taxes.
- The NDP budget is saddling AB families with a record deficit of $11 billion—with the result being that $1 billion will be spent on debt servicing costs, rather than essential services & programs!
- The NDP has rejected a $200 million cost-saving which was started by our previous PC gov’t, & identified by AHS: outsourcing laundry services. Once again, AB’s lose out on yet another opportunity to find efficiencies in our health care system--which would have no impact on front line workers!
- The NDP has spent your hard-earned taxpayer dollars on: selling their Budget ($750,000), promoting their Climate Leadership Plan ($4.4 million), & explaining their PPA lawsuit ($100,000).
- The NDP used their majority to push through a motion that would see political parties receive a rebate on their election spending if they receive a certain percentage of the overall vote. At a time when AB families are having trouble making ends meet in this tough economy, forcing them to pay for political campaigning is completely unacceptable! Be assured that our PC caucus will respectfully fight all of the above, & more--as we strive to protect Alberta families, rather than ideologies!
Top Right: I was pleased to participate in the 150 km Gran Fondo again this year; & as fmr PC Minister of Wellness, I encourage all AB’s to take care of themselves in whatever way they can. As Advocate for Advanced Education, also I salute the U of C for their inclusive new outdoor participation program!
Lower Left: It was an honour to support the Nathan O’Brien Home Run Derby for less advantaged AB kids!
Lower Right: Have a safe, happy Halloween, everyone! (Last year we went as the Stampeders, who are doing a great job giving treats to Calgary fans--& tricks to the rest of the CFL!)