- Butter or Olive Oil 2-3 tbsp
- Garlic (Fresh or jar) 2-3 heaping tbsp finely chopped
- 1 Med. Red Onion Chopped Med.
- 1 Red Pepper Chopped Med.
- 1 Yellow Pepper Chopped Med.
- Prawns (Peeled/deveined) 1 - 1 1/2 lbs. (size 21-25/lb)
- Sambal Oelek Chili Paste 1-2 tsp.+ (or Chili/Garlic Paste) to taste
- Sriracha hot sauce a few squirts
- Sambuca 3-4 oz. or more! (and a glass to sip on!)
- Cream ¼ cup whole whipping cream
Heat butter or oil to medium-high heat in non-stick Wok or frying pan. Add Prawns, when beginning to turn pink add generous amounts of Garlic and sauté lightly (do not burn garlic). Add Onion and Peppers. Sauté entire mixture for several minutes. Add "Sambal" (chili/garlic sauce or other hot sauce is fine) and Sriracha if desired & stir until onions are translucent. Add Sambuca (1-2 very generous splashes), flambe if desired and continue to stir until everything is coated and beginning to glaze. Add cream, thicken for several minutes until bubbling, smooth and creamy, but do not overcook shrimp! (All of this cooking shouldn’t take more than 8-10 minutes maximum.)
Serves 6 as a main course over rice, coconut rice or my favourite,angel hair pasta - prepare smaller batches as a hot appetizer. (Shrimp tails on for appetizer/off for main course; use diced chicken breast for those with seafood allergies). This is a delicious recipe for the outdoor gas burner and if you have a table top butane burner, use it! (Butane burns hotter). The "heat" may be adjusted to taste with the Sambal and Sriracha. A French baguette or loaf is also great to soak up the "to die for" remaining sauce!
MLA Calgary-Fish Creek
Thousands served through “culinary philanthropy” including Kids Cancer Care Foundation, Bow Valley College, Calgary Home Builders Foundation,
Peanut Butter Classic and more!
Video instructions at: https://youtu.be/vvOkMCqQ5DM